Microsoft has been reminding us about the end of Windows XP for a while now, yet there are still businesses out there using it that shouldn’t be. In fact, Windows XP holds 31.22% market share, falling shortly behind Windows 7 at 46.64%.
On April 8th, 2014, Microsoft will end support for Windows XP. These businesses will be in dire need when this happens because Windows XP:
- Will no longer receive security updates after the April 8th.
- Will be vulnerable to a variety of risks, including targeted hacking attacks, as there will no longer be scheduled security patches for XP, and
- Be prey for cybercriminals who are “waiting in the wings” for April 8th to attack!
Businesses are slowly migrating but need to pick up the pace. The deadline is near, and it’s essential to migrate to another operating system as soon as possible to avoid security breaches.
Assess Your Software and Hardware
In addition to upgrading from Windows XP, it’s essential that you have a knowledgeable IT expert assess your third-party software.
- Is your software capable of supporting Windows 7 or Windows 8? This is essential to determine.
- Consult your IT provider and discuss upgrading to newer versions of your software so it’s compatible with Windows 7 or beyond.
- Inspect your hardware as well. Is it old and overdue for replacement? Some hardware may need to be replaced so it’s compatible with Windows 7 and beyond.
Essentially, there are three important factors to consider, including:
What systems are currently running Windows XP? These must be replaced to ensure security and compliance with industry specific regulations.
Software and hardware must be supported by Windows 7 and beyond. For hardware, check the minimum requirements to find out if it’s compatible or not.
- Operating System
Windows 7 and Windows 8 are both good choices for your business. Discuss both options with your IT provider to choose the best operating system for your unique needs.
To learn more about the end of support date for Windows XP, give us a call at (02) 8212 4722 or send us an email at: [email protected] – Sydney Technology Solutions can help you choose and implement the best operating system for your needs.